St. Luke’s Memorial Episcopal Church

This cruciform building of Victorian Gothic architecture was designed and
built for St. Luke Memorial Episcopal Church in 1873. The architect was
Peter J. Williamson, who also designed the Synagogue in Nashville, Central
State Hospital, buildings in McMinnville, and buildings on the Vanderbilt
University campus. This church is one of his finest buildings.

With a square three-storied tower, arched lancet windows and doors, brick
buttresses and broad gabled roof, this handsome church is virtually
unchanged from its original appearance and condition. The church, parish
house and Gothic marble mausoleum occupy an entire block in downtown
Cleveland, surrounded by a crenelated stone wall with iron gates. The
church is known for its beautiful stained glass windows.

St. Luke’s Church was the gift of John H. Craigmiles of Cleveland as a
memorial to his seven-year old daughter, Nina, who was killed in a railroad
accident on Saint Luke’s Day in 1871.

The first organ was an 1886 Pilcher of two manuals and ten stops. It was
replaced by the Moller in 1955. Around 1986 Moller replaced the 8′ Dulciana
with a 4′ Spitz Principal. The 16′ octave of the Dulciana remained as an
extension of the Viola. Except for installation of solid-state switching
equipment by A. E. Schleuter in 1988, Barger & Nix has rebuilt and
releathered everything else and continues to maintain the organ. The
pipework is installed behind a stencilled facade that dates back to the
Pilcher.

M. P. Moller, Inc., Op. 8878, 1956, 2/7

GREAT

8′ Principal
8′ Gedeckt
8′ Gamba
4′ Octave
4′ Spitz Principal
4′ Flute
2′ Super Octave
1 1/3′ Quint
8′ Trompette
Super

SWELL

16′ Bourdon
8′ Gedeckt
8′ Gamba
8′ Gamba Celeste
4′ Spitz Principal
4′ Flute
2 2/3′ Nazard
2′ Spitz Octave
2′ Flute
8′ Trompette
4′ Clairon
Tremulant
Sub
Unison Off
Super
Blank
Blank

PEDAL

16′ Bourdon
16′ Dulciana
8′ Principal
8′ Gedeckt
4′ Octave
4′ Flute
Blank
Blank