Rivermont Presbyterian Church

In 1957, the Knoxville presbytery ask Dr. James L. Fowle, pastor of First Presbyterian Church, to help establish a church in the Rivermont area. 23 people left First Presbyterian to become charter members of Rivermont Presbyterian Church on November 17, 1957. They first met at Lupton City School, then at Rivermont School. Then, they bought a five-acre piece of land across Hixson Pike from the school. There was a drab concrete building on the site that was used for the first two years for services. Sunday school classes were held across the street at the school. Apparently traffic on Hixson Pike wasn’t as bad in those days. The first church building was dedicated in 1960, with a second building added in 1963. The sanctuary, an attractive A-frame building, was completed in 1967.

The first pipe organ for the church was Wicks Op. 5018, a two manual with 13 ranks; it was installed in 1969. In 1997, A. E. Schleuter rebuilt and enlarged the organ. The organ was redistributed to two chambers on each side of the stained glass window in the redesigned chancel. A new drawknob console was added.

Wicks Pipe Organ Co., Opus 5018, 1969, 2/13
A. E. Schlueter Pipe Organ Co., 1997, 2/21


8′ Principal
8′ Gedeckt
8′ Erzahler
8′ Erzahler Celeste
4′ Octave
4′ Flote 12
2′ Super Octave
III Mixture
8′ Trompette SW
3 blank knobs


8′ Rohrflote
8′ Viole
8′ Viole Celeste
4′ Principal
4′ Koppelflote
2 2/3′ Nasat
2′ Flachflote
1 3/5′ Tierce
16′ Contre Trompette 12
8′ Trompette
8′ Hautbois
4′ Clarion 12
Unison Off


32′ Resultant —
16′ Principal
16′ Subbass
16′ Lieblich Gedeckt 12
8′ Octave 12
8′ Bourdon 12
4′ Choralbass 12
4′ Bourdon 12
16′ Contre Trompette SW
8′ Trompette SW
8′ Hautbois SW
4′ Clarion SW

The above history of the church is from CATALYST FOR CHRIST – 150 YEARS,
David Cooper, 1991.